Sunday, February 1, 2009

Big House love

We have been to George Washington's home (twice, I think). The last time we toured the house my hot, tired and annoyed daughter asked the guide, "If he was so rich why couldn't he afford air conditioning?" I on the other had enjoyed the heat and the narrow stairs, the china, the kitchens, the outbuildings, the gardens, the drive, the view of the river, the animals...all of it. It was heaven.

A few years ago we traveled to Williamsburg and went to the Carter's Grove. The house was opulent. The gardens, quaint. The slave quarters, humble and sad, inhabited by slave/actors. The day was long and tiring, but being a Carter myself, I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldn't help but feel we experienced our own history that day.

Carter's Grove:




One of the garden views. I think this one if from the back of the house:

So cute...slightly creepy...




If I win the lottery.....Easy money, dream big. When they day comes when I have millions of dollars to roll around in, I will buy a house like this one to roll around in. How fabulous is this? My attraction to these big old houses stems from childhood fairytales, the attraction of living in a carefree, unrealistic world and the desire to immerse myself in a house full of memories and history. I am one of those people who recognizes the life in old building and old things. Antiques hold memories of all the people who lived with them and I feel privileged to share and contribute to these memories.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!