Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Song, by Susan Downing-White

I know I have been pretty emotionally unstable lately, but I have to say, when I found this artist's work online, it brought tears to my eyes. I am a sucker for a landscape and love this woman's landscapes. Her name is Susan Downing-White and she takes me where I need to be. In a description of her work, someone called her landscapes melancholy. I call them alive. I couldn't find an image of my favorite work so you have to go here to see it:
My favorite is 'Places East of Here VII', 'Rare sighting' and 'Song' above. When I look at these paintings I feel the constant current of life. How you know no matter what happens, the wind blows, birds fly, the sun sets and rises....you know. I feel our smallness and the natural world's awesome, oblivious bigness.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Gisette,
    I'm touched by your comments about my paintings--words are powerful and it's words like yours that get me through some bad days of my own. Sometimes sending work into the world feels like casting a message in a bottle...wondering if anybody 'gets it.' I'm glad you did. Best wishes, Susan Downing-White
    PS. I recently made some changes to the painting "Song." You can find it on my website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I am a little star-struck right now and I don't get star-struck often. You have an amazing gift. Your work captures my feelings when I look out at the evening sky or at the sun rise on my subway ride to work. Thank you. Please keep painting. Your newest fan :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!!