Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chicken in a Pot

I really want to make "Chicken in a Pot". Wait, no, I really wanted to make it until I googled "chicken in a pot french" and found the flickr pages of these poor chickens. There are some truly demented people in the kitchen. It didn't help that interspersed between the images of posed carcasses there were pictures of living chickens of all ages climbing in and out of all sorts of pots. There are few things better than a deliciously roasted, boiled or pan-fried chicken, but those horrible pictures. :( Can we respect the chicken, people?





I am going to make this dish this weekend. Very excited.





Chicken in a Pot





2 2lb-2 1/2lb of chicken (pieces)

1/2 cup of olive oil (that sounds like too much for me. i'm going to us extra virgin)

1 large onion (i am going to use a yellow one)

1 clove of garlic (i am going to use like 8 cloves)

(the recipe doesn't call for bay leaves, but I think I am going to put one in there for the last 30 minutes of simmering.

1 tsp salt (kosher or sea salt)

3/4 tsp black pepper (fresh ground)

1 medium tomato chopped (maybe two plum tomatoes)

1/2 cup dry white wine (I might tip a little dry sherry into this, too)




Brown the chicken in the oil
Add onion and garlic and seasoning
Cover and simmer for 3o minutes
Add tomatoes and wine (bay leaf)

Simmer another 30 minutes




My favorite Christmas present will make this recipe possible. Thanks Daddy, for buying it for me and thanks Martha Stewart for making it affordable and blue. Mine is the 7 QT beauty.



My mother gave me a red rectangular casserole with a lid that is just as useful and aesthetically pleasing, but I can't find a picture of it online. I will have to take one and post it later.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!