Sunday, April 19, 2009

apres mammogram

Why are we never told exactly what to expect...EVER? I always try to give a detailed and accurate recollection of my experiences when asked. For example, a past student employee and his wife are expecting a baby. He asks and I tell without embellishment and not shying from truths...well not all the truths need to be shared, but I don't lie about it. I share the good and the ugly.

Why have I never been told of the after affects of mammograms? About an hour after the procedure...which was not bad AT ALL, I started having that "OMG. I am going to throw up in my car" feeling. As it progressed I began feeling less happy about having done a great thing. Having made it to my favorite grocery (Hmart) I was relieved the episode did not begin there. Fortunately, I was in my car and the weather was awesome so I could keep my window down. As the sickness moving through me and felt relief in the fact that I wasn't going to throw up in y car while driving. But, that was not the end of it. I barely made it into the house fast enough to put the bags down and run to the bathroom. All day I laid around, unable to do much of anything. My oldest kid entertained herself and came and went as she pleased, but the younger planted herself right there beside me, poor thing.

I eventually got it together and googled "mammogram nausea" and found some descriptions of what I was feeling. Seriously. How about if someone said, "Go straight home after the procedure" or "Expect some gastro-intestinal discomfort"? Either would have been helpful and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!