Wednesday, October 28, 2015

A Homestead

One thing, the main thing about me is that I want to be that strange lady who doesn't leave her property and please do not knock on her door.  I want land.  Not a huge, acres and acres of land, herds of cattle farmer, but just a small homestead. Part fairy tale and part "Little House on Prairie". Living a life filled with chickens, goats, gardens and an orchard sounds like an excellent way to live naturally, nurture my spirit, love some animals and grow some good food. How great would it be to shear a goat or sheep, then spin its lustrous fiber that will turn into a warm blanket or shawl to curl up under in front of a wood stove on a rainy night? Okay, I have really romanticized this dream, but believe me, I have planned out my future days and they are filled with milking, chopping, weeding, sowing, veterinarian-izing, cooking, cleaning, crocheting, sewing, canning, drying, repairing, feeding and definitely loving.

The Backyard Homestead was my introduction to self-sufficiency and living with the seasons. Carleen Madigan is a wealth of information not only useful to the homesteader.  Even the urban apartment dweller, like me, can discern various ways to connect to and appreciate a natural life.




It is a lovely book.  Take a look if you are interested in growing herbs in your kitchen or veggies on your patio.

Another wealth of information is the Encyclopedia of Country Living. Talk about wanting know just about anything about homestead living.  There are answers to so many questions a novice doesn't even know she has. Again, a great read and one that you will refer to for years to come.


Finding like minded souls is a favorite past time.  I scour Pinterest looking for cooking and growing ideas and get inspired by others living a simple, natural life.  If your aren't on Pinterest, what are you waiting for?! I am not sure how I found Lindsay at A Wooden Nest, but she definitely doing it right.  Love the chickens and the baby clothes!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!!